Wednesday, November 28, 2012

To dye or not to dye

I've been talking about turning 30 for years.  And then it started sinking in at 29 that this milestone was upon me.  What I didn't realize is that my body has been preparing for years. 
This Thanksgiving Day I was fixing my hair in preparation for dinner when I saw a glimpse of light reflecting off my hair and realized I had gray hair.  But not just one gray hair, a whole pack of them, silently growing and just waiting to spring up all at once to say, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"  I called the boyfriend over and pointed them out, laughing and astonished...and then suddenly the laughter turned into tears and I realized this isn't a joke anymore, this is really who I am.
It's not about the hair.  The hair is just a reminder that these things I have been joking about will happen even if I'm not ready for them.  Instead of ignoring this process, I'm choosing to embrace it.
And so, I am in process of completing my next item on my list (first being this blog, of course), which is the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.  I've started it many times but I've never finished...never even made it to level 3.  I've accepted the fact it might not change my body much.  I've accepted the fact that it might not change the scale.  The point is simply to complete something that I've left unfinished.  The point is that I can be above any excuse. 
The point is...in turning older, I'm turning into the woman that I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment